If you have been charged with a DUI in Chippewa Falls, Chippewa County, Eau Claire, Eau Claire, County, Menomonie, Dunn County, Rice Lake or Barron County, Wisconsin it’s important to take immediate action to protect your legal rights and minimize the consequences of the offense. A DUI (Driving Under the Influence) charge can have serious consequences, including fines, license suspension, and even jail time. Here are some tips to help you navigate the process and avoid some of the pitfalls associated with a DUI charge in Wisconsin.
- Don’t Panic: The first thing to do if you’ve been charged with a DUI in Wisconsin is to stay calm and don’t panic. While it can be a stressful and overwhelming experience, it’s important to remember that you have legal rights and options.
- Hire an Experienced DUI Attorney: One of the most important steps you can take is to hire an experienced DUI lawyer. An attorney who specializes in DUI criminal defense cases can help you understand the charges against you, advise you on the best course of action, and represent you in court.
- Know Your Rights: It’s important to understand your legal rights when facing an OWI charge. For example, you have the right to remain silent and the right to an attorney. Understanding your rights can help you make informed decisions throughout the legal process.
- Attend Your OWI Court Dates: It’s important to attend all of your court dates and comply with any court orders. Failure to appear in court can result in additional charges and penalties.
- Consider Your Options: Depending on the circumstances of your case, you may have options to minimize consequences of a DUI charge. For example, you may be eligible for a plea deal or a deferred prosecution agreement.
- Avoid Future DUIs: Finally, it’s important to avoid future OWI charges.
Those who are pulled over and accused of driving under the influence often have a preconceived idea of a belligerent person whose clothes are disheveled and wreaks like beer. But a person can be arrested even after only having just a few drinks.
Many people believe you can’t beat an OWI charge and are shocked to discover that by hiring an experienced OWI criminal defense lawyer, their DUI case can be thrown out for many reasons like illegal traffic stops, and field sobriety tests
In Wisconsin, the consequences for a DUI conviction can vary and your choice in selecting the best DUI criminal defense lawyer will be the difference between a slap on the wrist and serious jail time. If convicted of drunk driving, driving while high or even medication impaired driving you may face:
- a fine
- driver’s license suspension or revocation
- alcohol counseling
- jail time
Mullen, Schlough & Associates is devoted to helping the accused navigate through chaotic legal situations. We are expert criminal DUI defense attorneys in the Chippewa Valley serving Eau Claire, Chippewa Falls, Menomonie, Barron and the surrounding areas including all of Western Wisconsin and we offer payment plans. Contact us today to discuss your case and to learn how we can help you.