When charged with an DUI in Chippewa Falls, Chippewa County, Eau Claire, Eau Claire, County, Menomonie, Dunn County, Rice Lake or Barron County, Wisconsin it is essential to consult a legal professional immediately to become aware of your rights as a citizen. In an instance of being charged with a DUI (Driving Under the Influence), serious consequences can arise. These consequences can include, but are not limited to, monetary fines, suspension or expulsion of your license, and even jail time. The following include tips and tricks on how to navigate the judicial process and minimize DUI charges in Wisconsin.
- Remain rational: If you have been charged with a DUI in Wisconsin, the first call to action is to stay calm and keep a rational head on your shoulders. It can be a tedious, overwhelming period of time, which makes it all the more important to keep a clear head. You have constitutional rights and a multitude of choices, all of which an DUI attorney can help you figure out.
- Get in Contact with an experienced DUI Attorney: Arguably the most dire course of action to take is to hire a lawyer that has an immense amount of experience in DUI cases. A specialized lawyer in DUI convictions can assist in fully understanding legal litigation against you, navigating the Justice system, and represent your case in court.
- Understand Your Rights: Knowing rights as a citizen of Wisconsin when undergoing a DUI conviction is essential. For example, you reserve the rights to an attorney and to remain silent. Making decisions during court proceedings will come much easier when you understand your rights.
- Do NOT Avoid DUI Court Dates: It is essential to appear at all mandatory court dates and follow all court orders. Additional penalties may be the result of failing to attend court.
- Consider Alternative Options: Believe it or not, there are different options regarding minimizing repercussions of a DUI charge, which are dependent on the details of your case. A plea deal or a deferred prosecution agreement are just a couple of examples of this.
- Avoid DUIs in the Future: The best way to avoid another DUI charge is to stop driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or prescription medications that advise against the operation of a vehicle on the warning label.
Stereotypes of a person pulled over for driving under the influence can include an arrogant, belligerently drunk individual who wreaks of liquor. In reality, a person can face charges even after having just a drink or two.
Some people may be surprised to find that by appointing an experienced DUI lawyer, their DUI conviction can be dismissed for a multitude of reasons, such as illegal traffic stops and field sobriety tests. It is a falsity that DUI cases are impossible to beat.
In Wisconsin, there are a variety of repercussions for DUI convictions and your selection of the finest DUI criminal defense lawyer will determine the difference between minor and serious legal penalties. If convicted of drunk driving, driving while high or even medication impaired driving you may face:
- Jail time
- Alcoholic support groups (such as AA, Alcoholics Anonymous)
- A monetary fine
- A suspended or revoked driver’s license
Mullen, Schlough & Associates is committed to helping those accused of DUI or OWI charges navigate their way through a difficult, multifaceted legal situation. We are experienced DUI defense attorneys in the Chippewa Valley serving Eau Claire, Chippewa Falls, Menomonie, Barron and the areas surrounding, including all of Western Wisconsin. We also offer payment plans! Consult with us today to discuss your case and offer our services to you.